Just kidding, you can have all of this delicious roasted tomato soup that you want!
Tomatoes get a lot of buzz in the nutrition world and for good reason. Tomatoes are loaded with the most well known antioxidant/carotenoid, lycopene.
What is lycopene, and why is it so great?
Lycopene is a carotenoid found in tomatoes which gives it that beautiful bright red color along with a host of other powerful health benefits. Tomatoes have been shown to have anti-cancer, anti inflammatory, and cardiovascular benefits. Lycopene has been linked with prostate cancer prevention in several studies.
Tomatoes are rich in……..
Vitamin C, A, K, E and B6
Antioxidants: flavones, flavonols, hydroxycinnamic acids, carotenoids, glycosides, and fatty acid derivatives
Caratenoids: lypocene, lutein and beta carotene
I got this recipe from my friend Peggy is who is an amazing chef! Enjoy!
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes (about 4 cups, halved)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock. You could also use chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful of chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, add them as well, leaving them whole and on the vine. Drizzle with ¼ cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-4 minutes, or until caramelized. Check on everything every 10 or 15 minutes, make sure your onions do not burn.
- Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer along with any roasting juices into a large stock pot. Add 3 cups of the vegetable stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third. Discard bay leaves.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish in bowl with chopped fresh basil or cilantro.